Date: 21st Sept 2012
Time: Start 09:30 CEST
Location: NLNet Labs, NL
- General administration (lunch, dinner, etc).
- Discuss agenda.
Updates (30 mins)
- OpenDNSSEC Company Update (Patrik)
- ACTIONS from last OAB meeting affecting dev team
- (Jakob) - Communicate 1.4 is a major change (blog/website)
- For the 1.4 release generate a 'friendly' release statement with much more info than the normal release announcement.
- (Sion) - Establish 'bad' and 'acceptable' value for memory usage (ldns issue)
- Results of discussion sent to Wilhem. Outcome was BIND has x3 or x4 fold increase (memory vs. zone size) which is just acceptable but more than that is not. ODS has roughly x8 fold increase. NLnet Labs are working on a solution but it is not clear if it should be in ODS or ldsn. This is a significant effort so committing to it would probably require board involvement. The targets are not clear yet either. Jerry does have a patch to reduce memory but this is not production ready. Best guess is that this would give 25-30% improvement. We note there is also an issue with signing time increasing over time.... (SIDN). Also raised that large memory usage is an issue for virtual machines.
- ACTION: Generate first draft of page to describe benchmark setups and systems usage.
- ACTIONS from the last developer workshop:
- Improve requirement handling
- Memory issues (ldns)
Strategy & Roadmap (1 Hr)
- Review current roadmap
- After a discussion there was agreement that more flexibility in the roadmap would be good for users. Large releases make planning hard and delays easy The development team would like the option to release smaller releases more frequently e.g. break up the 2.1 release into several releases. Consider having the development team make recommendations about the releases based on when individual features are ready for the board to review?? (Note: Need to communicate releases early to maintainers.)
- Goals, obstacles, competitors - what do we need to focus on?
- Regression testing/Knowledge sharing/Documentation
- Future directions: Functionality, usability, performance
Testing (1 Hr)
- Regression testing in Jenkins
- Performance & endurance testing to simulate production environments
- User testing (alphas, betas)
- More formal e.g. separate mailing list?
2.0 (Enforcer-NG) (1 Hr)
- Review development progress to date and estimate for remaining work
- High-level design review (Yuri will present some slides)
- Discuss rollout plan (testing, communication, branch for 2.1?)
- Do we need separate Enforcer NG and team calls anymore?
Support for HA set ups (1 Hr)
- Based on the various user requests and discussions (support for backup servers, parallel systems etc) the aim is to produce recommendations to OAB board about what we think should be supported in future. (If anyone wants to present something specific here - please let me know).
Review of all JIRA issues (1 Hr +)
- Review release assignments
- Proposals for new stories
Roundup (30 mins)
- Review actions
- Agree any items to request be added to OAB agenda.
- Plan follow up meetings
- May need more time to review JIRA issues....
- Project processes
- How we use JIRA (SUPPORT project, issue status, etc)
- Should we be more agile?
- Release process and versioning
- Jerry's Api/Lim work